Sunday, August 22, 2010

School House - Grangeville Idaho

Students sledding down *Crooks Road after school could usually count on our grandfather, Allen Nurss, or great grandfather, Albert Frank Nurss, to time their trips to town in order to meet the sledding students at the bottom of the hill. Using horses and wagon, they would be pulled back up the long hill filled with delight at the prospect of one more quick sled ride before returning home for chores and dinner. Sometimes the school teachers would room at Grandpa and Grandma Nurss' home located at the top of Crooks Road, in Grangeville, Idaho.  According to the Idaho County Press, and family history, Grandpa Allen Nurss and Great Grandpa Albert F Nurss both served on the school board. Others in our family taught in Grangeville schools, but more about that later. The stories we could tell about the students at this school! They were strong, sturdy students who developed wonderful bonds and became good citizens. There were a few pranks too which we might share later.
____________________________________________________________________________

Part of a journal entry from one of the students, Loha Geraldine Nurss, who attended school in the  schoolhouse pictured above which was located at the top of Crooks Road [Street]:

"I started to school in a one room school house where the grades ran from the 1st thru the 8th grade.  The school was located kittie corner from our ranch house at the foot hills in Grangeville Idaho.  The teachers name was Borland and another one  I remember was Slyer.  And Lu La Maines.

We used to board the school teachers before I started to school.  But after I started we did not do this anymore.  One of the teachers we boarded was Lula Maines.  My Dad was trustee of the school board for a time, after I started to school.

I remember an incident of black pepper being put on the Pot bellied stove, in the middle of the room  by my cousin Leon Nurss.  Our eyes burned & kids started sneezing & coughing so our teacher lined us up to march out she asked each one of us if we had did it.  It was all no’s till she came to me, and as I had saw him do it I said yes & I named Leon [Nurss], my cousin.

Well needless to say I was quite an unpopular person.  My best boy friend, Bernard Hoeckul who was rite behind me said what the heck did you tell for & he didn’t speak to me for days which really hurt. 

Some other kids who I remember quite well from school were Alma Cash, Welda Chase & of coarse there were boys Paul Warden, Frank Cash, Joe Cash, Vance and Howard Darling & of coarse my favorite Bernard Hoeckel."


*now named Crooks Street

No comments: